Face cap is a facial motion capture solution exclusively for the iPhone X.
Using the front 3D camera it records and exports the users facial expressions to be used in games, animation or vfx.
- Records head position & rotation data.
- Records 50 different facial expressions (as blendshape parameters).
- Eye tracking.
- User configurable recording duration up to 10 minutes.
- Records microphone input in sync.
- Exports a generic mesh, blendshapes and animation as Ascii-fbx.
- Native IOS sharing interface (email or dropbox your recordings).
- An Iphone X. Currently the iPhone X is the only IOS device with a 3D camera.
- It's possible for the app to lose it's permissions to use the camera. This can be resolved by removing and re-installing the app. A future update will handle permission better.
- In app filtering/smoothing of captured data.
- Optional recording of the front camera video feed for reference (Currently black & white with separate audio file).
- Hierarchy of exported Fbx updated for better compatibility.
- Locking the face in place.
- Video Tutorial 1: A closer look at the exported data.
- Video Tutorial 2: Transferring the captured data.
- Looking into ml solutions to bring FaceCap to other (Desktop) platforms.
- Front camera video feed recording in RGB (now it's the Y channel from YUV).
- ARKit v2.0 features.
- Improve handling of IOS camera/mic permissions.
- For best results place the iPhone X down or hold it still during recording.
- Don't move too close or too far from the 3D camera it's range is limited.
- Don't look too far up, down or sideways.
- For longer recordings (3 minutes+) the exported files might get too big to transfer via email. Consider using dropbox or another sharing solution if you plan to record longer sessions.
- Please use the app in a well lit room for best results.
- Don't obscure the face, put long hair up in a pony tail, don't put hands or other objects between the face and the 3D camera.
- Post process your recording by filtering out noise/jitter/glitches.
Recording quality reference video:
A closer look at the exported data video:
Transferring the captured data to different characters video:
Please rate and review Face Cap on the App store.
Support this project by donating Nano:
Support this project by donating Bitcoin: